Your Music Is Worthless, But That's OK: A Guide To Making Money From Music Online

Saint Peter is checking ID’s at the Pearly Gates,
and first comes a Texan. “Tell me, what have
you done in life?” says St. Peter. The Texan
says, “Well, I struck oil, so I became rich, but I
didn’t sit on my laurels–I divided all my
money among my entire family in my will, so
our descendants are all set for about three
generations.” St. Peter says, “That’s quite
something. Come on in. Next!” The second guy
in line has been listening, so he says, “I struck
it big in the stock market, but I didn’t selfishly
just provide for my own like that Texan guy. I
donated five million to Save the Children.”
“Wonderful!” says Saint Peter. “Come in. Who’s
next?” The third guy has been listening, and
says timidly with a downcast look, “Well, I only
made five thousand dollars in my entire
lifetime.” “Heavens!” says St. Peter. “What
instrument did you play?” This is the future of
music.
This talk about the future of music and
audience was given today by Gizmodo Australia
editor, Luke Hopewell, at the Australian
Institute Of Music’s Tomorrow’s Ideas Leading
Today (TILT) Forum. Enjoy!
The future of music is a tough question, but at
the end of the day, no matter how much
recognition, fame or notoriety you attract
from making music, old-fashioned money still
pays the bills. We’re going to talk about how to
get some for yourself in this new internet
economy.
I’ll start with a little story about a girl named
Violet: Violet is a country girl who travels to
New York City with hopes of becoming a big
star. She mails her demo out to a bunch of
labels in the hopes that she’ll be the next big
thing, but alas, nobody signs her. She’s behind
on her rent, and gets a job at a bar where she
can sing and dance to get attention, and
eventually comes out of her shell and finds
success, as well as a road to possible fame and
fortune through hardship.read full story here

Previous
Next Post »