Mandela family sues grandson over burial site

As former South African President, Nelson Mandela, remained in a
critical condition in hospital on Friday, a family feud over where the
94-year-old former president should be buried went to the courts.
Mandela's oldest daughter, Makaziwe, and 15 other family members
have pressed a court application to get Mandela's grandson to return
the bodies of three of Mandela's children to their original graves in
the eastern rural village of Qunu, according to the South African
Broadcasting Corporation.
The grandson, Mandla Mandela, acknowledges having reburied the
three bodies 20 kilometers (13 miles) away in the Mvezo village,
where he plans to create a Mandela shrine, hotel and soccer stadium,
according to the South African Press Association.
Grandson Mandla Mandela has until Saturday to respond to the court
filing, reports said.
The anti-apartheid leader built his retirement home in Qunu and was
living there until his repeated hospitalisations which started at the
end of last year. Nelson Mandela attended the burial of his son at the
family plot in Qunu in 2005, and it was widely expected that the
leader himself would be buried there.
But his grandson exhumed the bodies of Mandela's three children and
moved them to nearby Mvezo, where he holds authority as chief.
Eldest daughter Makaziwe and other Mandela family members want
the family bodies returned to their original graves in Qunu, according
to the reports.
The family court struggle came as Mandela's ex-wife said that he had
improved in recent days, but remained critical.
Winnie Madikizela-Mandela gave the update on Friday while speaking
to journalists outside Mandela's former home in Soweto.
"I'm not a doctor but I can say that from what he was a few days ago
there is great improvement," said Madikizela-Mandela, who is a
member of South Africa's Parliament.
Madikizela-Mandela pleaded with the media to "understand the
sensitivities and the feeling of the family."
His daughter Makaziwe Mandela was among the family members who
arrived at the Pretoria hospital on Friday. The ministers of health and
defense also visited, the South African Press Association reported.
Outside the Pretoria hospital on Friday, a man flying a drone-like
object with a camera attached was led away by several policemen,
adding to an already heightened atmosphere where well-wishers
continue to gather to pray for Mandela.
Mandela was taken to the hospital on June 8 to be treated for what
the government said was a recurring lung infection. South Africans
have held prayers nationwide, and many have left flowers and
messages of support outside the hospital as well as his home in
On Thursday, the office of South African President Jacob Zuma said
Mandela's health had improved overnight, and that his condition was
critical but stable.
On Friday night, United States President Barack Obama and his family
arrived in South Africa for the second leg of the US president's first
major trip to the continent.
Hopes that the first black presidents of their two respective countries
might meet have been all but extinguished because of Mandela's ill
Speaking to journalists on board Air Force One as he flew from
Senegal to Johannesburg, Obama said he didn't want to be
"obtrusive," Daily Telegraph of London reports.
"We'll see what the situation is when we land. I do not need a photo
op," he said. "Right now, our main concern is with his well being, his
comfort and with the family's well being and comfort."
Mandela's last wishes were contained in a Will that the then 78-year-
old president made in January 1996. Events in Qunu in the past week
suggest they have not changed.
On Thursday, workmen in lorries and compactors began hurriedly
laying soil for a new road leading to a 10-acre meadow on a slope
overlooking Mandela's pink-walled country home where his grave is
expected to be.

Next Post »