Two-month-old baby, parents die in midnight fire

A two-month old baby and her parents lost their lives
in a midnight inferno that razed their residence in
Kajola community, Osun State, in the early hours of
A resident, who pleaded anonymity, said the couple
and their baby were consumed by the fire without
anyone noticing  in the neighbourhood.
It could not be ascertained whether the tragedy
occurred before a light rain on Wednesday or after.
Our correspondent, however, noted that the incident
had thrown the community into grief.
One of the children of the deceased, who went for a
vigil, wept uncontrollably when she returned home in
the morning to meet the charred bodies of her
parents and sibling.
All the household gadgets of the family were burnt in
the inferno suspected to be caused by a power surge.
The state Deputy Governor, Mrs Titi Laoye-Tomori,
who visited the scene, expressed shock.
Laoye-Tomori, who gave an undisclosed amount of
money to the family, said, "The government will
henceforth be responsible for the upkeep of the
surviving children."
Officials of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence
Corps took the corpses of the victims to the
The Public Relations Officer, Ife-Ile PHCN Business
District, Mr Akin Otaraki, said the fire outbreak could
not have been cause by a power surge because the
area had been disconnected from power supply by
Power Holding Company of Nigeria.
"The community and some others had been in
darkness since Saturday, July 20, 2013 due to a yet-
to-be identified fault. The fact on the ground is that
the inferno could not have been caused by a power
surge because there has not been power supply to
the affected communities, including Kajola," Otaraki

Next Post »