My relationship with PSquare’s Peter Okoye … The true story – Munachi Abi

Since Munachi Abi came into limelight after
winning the Most Beautiful Girl in Nigeria
( MBGN) crown in 2007, life has never been
the same again. Within a very short period of
time, Muna, as she is fondly called by her
admirers became a household name especially
when she emerged one of the formidable
female artistes in the Nigerian entertainment
scene, floating her own record label company
called, No Koncience. But while Muna’s
profile was constantly on the rise, so did the
number of controversies trailing her.
From her rumoured ‘love affair’ with Peter
Okoye, one half of the superstar duo, P-
Square, to her public dispute and
reconciliation with rapper, Mode 9, Muna
fluctuated between popularity and notoriety.
However, in this interview, she addresses some
of the nagging issues affecting her personality
and career. She also narrated the
circumstances that informed her decision to
set up  her own record label, No Koncience
among other things….
Do you still recall how you felt that fateful day
you were crowned as the Most Beautiful Girl in
Nigeria, MBGN 2007?
I was excited. I didn’t think I was going to win
but I won.
Before you won the beauty pageant, you were
with a group called,  The Specimen?
No, I wasn’t with them. They only gave me an
opportunity to feature on their album as at
that time. That was my first time rapping on
wax. I used to write a lot of lyrics until my
friend saw my notepad and quickly notified
“The Specimen” about me. They were glad to
ask me to join them as they wanted to see
what I could do with my talent. I would say, I
learnt the art on the spot.
*Muna
Have you written songs for any Nigerian artist?
Yes, back in the days, I wrote a song for J
Martins, Waje. I have a good chemistry, I co-
wrote the song, “I Wish” with Waje in her
current album.
Aside writing songs and rapping, you are also
into modelling. Do you still have that contract
with Unilever as Face of Lux?
My contract with Lux is under review. They are
trying to renew it.
And your programme with Sound City. Is it
also under review?
I still have an amazing relationship with
SoundCity. I worked with them for over a year.
We didn’t actually split but at that time, I was
trying to get into the music business seriously.
You really can’t do a lot of things at the same
time. So, I took a break. I can always go back
and say, I need my job back.
Looking at your first video, Ifunanya, you
played your character well; the love smitten
girl and you have the looks too. Why didn’t
you get into Nollywood?
No. I really don’t think I can act or even make
it as a good actress although I haven’t tried it.
I probably do know how to act, it’s just that I
haven’t found the right script yet.
Have you been approached before?
Yes, I do get a lot of scripts. But I still haven’t
found that one; when I find it, its going to
make everybody cry.
Do you want to play a tragic character?
Exactly, the kind of story I’m looking forward
to interpreting because it moves me.
You recently set up your own record label
called, No Koncience. Why did you leave RMG
to form yours?
I needed to become a little bit more
independent and you know one needs to grow.
I have  learnt how to handle things on my own
and become responsible. It was something I
needed to do  because one  cannot continue to
be under someone’s wings forever. There
comes a time when you have to spread you
own wings and fly.
And you have a first single from this label?
Yes, my single “No Tomorrow” is out. It came
out on the 10th of this month, and it’s been
good and a video for the song will soon be put
together. My album, The Goddess, The hustler”
is still receiving finishing touches but I may
have to change the name.
Unlike many of your counterparts in the
entertainment industry who prefer to climb the
ladder of stardom by escalating their biffs with
their colleagues. While your misunderstanding
with Mode 9 lasted, you took the pain to call
him on the phone and even tweeted a public
apology, what informed your decision to re-
trace your steps?
I hate to be in enmity with someone. Life is
too short for that. It’s not who I am. I have a
good relationship with Mode 9, there’s no biff.
And really it wasn’t a big issue it’s just you,
the media who escalated things, trying to make
a mountain out of nothing. You keep
hammering on the same question trying to get
the person to react negatively and it’s really
frustrating. Mode 9 and I are very good friends
and we’ll keep it that way.
It is alleged this is partly why you left your
former label, RMG, for being too hard on fans
with that strong worded press statement that
told everyone off?
No, I did not leave RMG for that reason. I still
have a good relationship with my former label
and I was aware of all the statements written
concerning that issue. I left RMG because I
needed to start up my own thing; there was
nothing more to it. I have no issues
whatsoever with RMG.
What’s your opinion about love?
Love is life. It’s the most beautiful thing to
happen to anybody.
Do you believe in love at first sight?
Yes, it could happen. It is possible.
Is this what happened between you and Peter
Okoye (PSquare) love at first sight?
Look, I know Lola Omotola very well. I have
known her for years and we are really close.
All those things you heard or read about us are
not true. Peter Okoye and I are friends. I know
his family well. I was just invited to be in his
video (Ifunanya) and that was it. Nothing more
than that. I know how Peter and Lola love each
other and I respect their love.  I could never
do that to them. I could never bring myself to
do anything to hurt them.
It’s good to have you clear the air!
(She interrupts) What you’ll see is another
screaming headline, “Muna again denies affair
with Peter Okoye.” It’s not fair, it’s
heartbreaking and very frustrating. Some of
these things you media guys write about us
hurts us so badly.
How have you learnt to deal with rumours
about you?
I try to remain focused and I move on.
How supporting has your family been?
My family has always been there for me. My
mum particularly, she is my rock. She’s always
asking when am I going to get your song to use
as my ringtone?
If offered a role to play in a steaming love
scene who will you do it with?
Maybe, with Johny Depp and Brad Pitt …
except Brad Pitt says he won’t be doing sex
scenes again because of Angelina Jolie, but for
them, I am ready to play more than romantic.
What about Nollywood Actors?
No. There is no one hot enough for me in
Nollywood. No one.
What’s your vision for your new label?
To take over the world. (laughs) really it’s just
to grow and be an inspiration to the next
generation. To let them know anything and
everything is possible once you set your mind
to it.
Is marriage knocking on your door?
Yes, I believe it will come when it has to come
and you all will know when the time is right.
What’s your favourite dance move?
I really don’t think I have any particular one.
You know as a rapper you aren’t really
supposed to dance. You just stand on one spot
and wave your hands.

Previous
Next Post »